From the May 2018 issue of HealthCare Business News magazine
Each month, we visit Dr. Blaufox’s Museum of Historical Medical Artifacts to take a look back at the medical equipment that cleared the way for what patients encounter in doctors’ offices and operating rooms of today. Some equipment may be recognizable, while other featured inventions have since become obsolete or have had their usefulness discredited.
The picture and description appear courtesy of Dr. M. Donald Blaufox, M.D., Ph.D, from his website: www.mohma.org.
Numed, a well established company in business since 1975 provides a wide range of service options including time & material service, PM only contracts, full service contracts, labor only contracts & system relocation. Call 800 96 Numed for more info.
T. Morris Perot
Measuring 15.5” x 6” x 12”, this black cloth covered box includes straps that allow it to be worn as a backpack. Its flaps open to drawers, which are hinged to slide out in front of the bottom compartment. The top contains a medicine case with 17 of 20 screw-top vials with meds and hand labels, probably not original. The bottom contains three compartments: one a metal case with a solidified material, the middle compartment holds six metal, six glass containers with labels that read T. Morris Perot and Co. Philadelphia. The tins are japanned and all are also labelled US Med Dept. The last compartment contains a very large japanned tin 5” x 3“x 3.5” labelled Spiritus Frumenti. Also contained within is a book of supplies from the US Army, which is dated 1863.
This chest has been donated to the Museum of the Medical History of the Civil War and can be seen on display there in Fredrick, Md. During journeys away from the base hospital the chest was worn by a corpsman who worked with the physician to take care of wounded or ill soldiers.